Public Evening Lectures
Public Evening Lectures are free and open to all. They are part of an SCI initiative led by the Membership Affairs Committee to reach members of the public and provide discourse on SCI-linked topics and relevant popular subjects.
The 2015/16 series of Public Evening Lectures will begin in the autumn. Please check back here nearer the time for more details. Alternatively keep up to date with activities at SCI, by signing up to receive event and news updates. More
- 11 Nov, Prof Kevin Harrington - Using Viruses to Treat Cancer: Turning Poachers into Gamekeepers More
- 13 Oct, Prof Simon Lovestone - Alzheimer's disease: big problem, Big Data, big solution? More
- 28 May, Prof Ed Bullmore - Understanding and treatment of mental health disorders such as depression and psychosis Watch the video
- 30 April, Prof Myles Allen - How we will eventually solve the climate change problem - and why UN conferences are largely irrelevant Watch the video
- 26 March, Prof Geoffrey Maitland - Fossil fuels and avoiding climate change - are they incompatible? Watch the video
- 29 January, Michael Stephenson - Shale gas and fracking: the science behind the controversy. Watch the video
- 10 December, Dr Denis Koltsov: Nanomaterials in foods - recent developments, regulations, standards and public perception. Watch the video
- 19 November, Prof Robin Clark - Raman Microscopy and the Identification of Forgery in Artwork. Watch the video
- 1 October, Hadyn Parry - The war against mosquito-borne diseases - changing times, changing minds. Watch the video
- 24 September, SCI Public Evening Lecture: Professor Dame Sally Davies - Anti-microbial resistance - The Chief Medical Officer's Role. Watch the video
- 19 February, Prof Peter Atkins - War and Peace: Chemistry's Contribution. Watch the video
- 31 October, Prof Lord Krebs - Feeding the 9 billion. Watch the video
- 25 June, Prof David Nutt - Should chemistry dictate the drug laws? Watch the video
- 5 February, John Pickett - Plant metabolism exploited for sustainable food production by breeding, GM and companion cropping. Watch the video
- 23 January, Tom Crotty - Sustainability in Biofuels. Watch the video
- 20 November, David Torres - Meeting the Energy Challenge Through Innovation. Watch the video
- 10 October, Prof Julia King - The Future of Transport: Sustainable, Affordable and Effective. Watch the video
- 18 September, Dr John Emsley - 2050: Sustainable UK? Watch the video
- 16 May, Sir John Beddington - A Sustainable Future for Food and Farming. More
- 14 December, Thames Tideway Debate
- 17 November, Prof Subhash Anand - Nonwoven Fabrics in Healthcare and Medical Devices. More
- 20 October, Dame Sue Ion - When the Lights go out will we care about Carbon Emissions? More
- 22 September, The Redemption of the British Breakfast! Re-evaluating the importance of the role of saturated fats and cholesterol in the diet of healthy adults.
- 9 June, Lord Lawson of Blaby - Energy Policy and Global Warming.
- 14 April, Prof Sir Brian Hoskins - The Challenge of Climate Change. More
- 12 December, GM Foods: Genetic Manipulation or Global Malnutrition? Colin Tudge and Prof Jonathan Jones. More
- 18 November, Jerry Stone - Space Exploration: An alternative history.
- 21 October, Prof David Phillips - A Little Light Relief. More
- 6 September, Fred Pearce - Peoplequake: Mass Migration, Ageing Nations and the Coming Population Crash. More
- 15 October, Ben Goldacre - How to recognise bad science. More