SCI is a unique multidisciplinary forum where science meets business on independent, impartial ground. SCI provides the opportunity for sharing information between sectors as diverse as food and agriculture, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, environmental science and safety.
Established in 1881 as the Society of Chemical Industry, SCI is today a registered charity with individual members in over 70 countries. Its headquarters are in London.
Ever since its foundation, SCI's principal objective has been to further the application of chemistry and related sciences for the public benefit, through our events and publications.
The objects of the Society, as specified in the Charter, are to advance the science of applied chemistry and related sciences for the public benefit by:
- 2.1 Furthering the practical application of discoveries in the field of chemistry and related sciences to the products and processes of industry;
- 2.2 Providing a forum in which multi-disciplinary discussions on the opportunities and problems of industry can take place and publishing appropriate journals, books and other communications;
- 2.3 Granting medals, lectureships, scholarships and other awards;
- 2.4 Carrying out, or assisting in the carrying out of, investigations into matters of public concern relating to the practical application of chemistry and related sciences;
- 2.5 Bringing to public notice the benefits accruing from the practical application of chemistry and related sciences; and
- 2.6 All such other charitable means; but such objects shall not comprise nor shall this Our Charter confer upon the Society any power or right to act as an examining body for the purpose of prescribing or holding examinations whereby degrees, qualifications or authority to practice or to use any distinctive title can or may be conferred upon practising chemists or any other persons whatsoever whether or not Members of the Society.
To be where science meets business
- Unique, independent forum for innovation
- Multi-disciplinary community
- Creating value for chemistry, related sciences and people
- Focussed on business sectors including Energy, Environment, Food, Health and Materials
Strategic Mission (Purpose)
- To foster innovation through networking and distributing knowledge
- To facilitate recruitment from universities to SMEs and multinationals
- To support members’ careers through training, development and employment opportunities
- To contribute to the public understanding of science