2008 Distinguished Service Award for Fine Chemicals Group's Dr Chris Hill
Chris Hill is Senior Vice President Research at Organon (part of the Schering-Plough Corporation) and is responsible for the Newhouse research site in Scotland.
Chris graduated in chemistry at the University of Manchester and undertook his PhD studies in synthetic chemistry at UMIST under the supervision of Professor Robert Ramage. He then moved to France for a postdoctoral research position with Professor Sir Derek Barton. In 1985 he returned to the UK and began his career in the pharmaceutical industry by joining Roche Research as a Team Leader in the Chemistry Department. After a brief spell at Parke-Davis in 1993-4, Chris returned to Roche as a Department Head in chemistry. He held a variety of positions over the next seven years including Local Therapeutic Area Head for Inflammatory Diseases and Director of Chemistry. In 2001 Chris left Roche to join Organon as Executive Director of Medicinal Chemistry, and was appointed to his current position in July 2003.
Chris’ therapeutic interests have historically been in the areas of inflammatory and viral diseases. He developed an early interest in modulators of signal transduction and protein kinases as well as protease inhibition. Current areas of research include CNS diseases, analgesia and cardiovascular disease.
Chris has played an active role in external organisations, particularly in the chemistry field. He has been a member of the RSC Organic Council and is currently a member of the SCI Fine Chemicals Group, ABPI R&D Committee and the Industry Advisory Group to the Scottish Government.
At SCI he was:
- Member of the Young Chemists’ Panel of the SCI Fine Chemicals Division from its initiation (1989 - 1994).
- Chairman of the Young Chemists’ Panel (1992 - 1994).
- Establishment of a Young Chemists’ Award in the form of a fully funded postgraduate studentship
- Establishment of the annual Young Chemist in Industry Symposium
- Creation of initiatives for the promotion of chemistry in schools
- Member of the SCI Fine Chemicals Group Committee (1992 - present). Actively involved in organizing meetings with a medicinal chemistry bias, such as the biennial SCI/RSC Medicinal Chemistry Meeting. Also involved at inception of protease inhibition and kinase inhibition meeting series in collaboration with RSC. A keen advocate for collaborating with other groups and organizations to deliver quality meetings for our members and always keen to try new ideas!
- Treasurer of the SCI Fine Chemicals Group (1998 - 2000)
- Secretary of the SCI Fine Chemicals Group (2000 - 2002)
- Vice-Chair of the SCI Fine Chemicals Group (2002 -2004)
- Chair of the SCI Fine Chemicals Group (2004 -2005)