£30-35k (dependent on experience), plus benefits
Initially 12 months fixed term, with the potential for a permanent role.
The Society of Chemical Industry (SCI), a registered charity, is an international forum where science meets business. Established in 1881 SCI’s main charitable objective is to advance the application of science into industry for public benefit, which it fulfils via events, publications and other activities. Today, with members in over 70 countries and with over 900 companies and 300 academic institutions represented in our network, SCI facilitates open innovation, identifies and promotes emerging technologies in the areas of climate change and global health, and provides support for the next generation of scientists and engineers.
SCI is now looking to appoint an experienced Academic Engagement Manager to raise the profile of SCI, its awards schemes and other related programmes to build formal partnerships between the Society, universities and other related institutions. This is a business development role which will involve active promotion of SCI. It requires a self-motivated individual with a passion for science, and who has experience of building long-term partnerships.
Main duties will include proactively establishing relationships with senior members within external institutions, effectively presenting and promoting SCI, its awards programme and other activities, and building strong multi layered partnerships with SCI’S Academic Partnership Programme. The role includes responsibility for liaising with any associated trusts and their trustees. We are looking for an energetic, professional team player, with excellent communication skills and someone who is comfortable presenting the Society to a range of contacts, including senior stakeholders.
SCI has a small but friendly staff team, and so flexibility and the ability to work with the wider team to achieve SCI’s objectives is crucial. This role is normally office based at 14-15 Belgrave Square, London, but is currently home-based due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Skills and experience required for this role:
- Degree in STEM or equivalent experience within a scientific/educational organisation
- Proven marketing, promotional and presentational skills
- Target driven and able to negotiate formal partnerships
- Self-starter, able to self-manage and work to tight deadlines
- Credible and personable with the ability to build relationships with senior stakeholders
- A strong understanding of academic science pathways and wider academia
- Strong association with the objectives of the Society
- Attentive to providing high levels of customer service
- Enthusiastic and proactive approach to work
- High degree of computer literacy, including proficiency with MS Office
If you wish to apply, please send a CV and covering letter (maximum 2 sides of A4) outlining how you meet the requirements of the role and how you feel you are best placed to progress SCI’s objectives.
Please send completed applications to Ryan McKiernan (email@example.com) with the subject line ‘Academic Engagement Manager – Application’.
Closing Date: 23:59 on Friday 28th May 2021.