SCI's Day of Science & Careers is an annual career event designed to give information about the wide-range of careers covered in the chemical, chemistry-using and other science based industries. Speakers from a range of industrial, academic and independent backgrounds will present their career pathway and offer insights into what to look out for, and what to consider when choosing your next steps.
This event will be of interest to final year undergraduate and postgraduate students, as well as postdoctoral researchers in chemical & biological sciences and engineering.
Wednesday 14 October
- Registration and refreshments
- Welcome and introduction
Prof Alan Heaton, formerly Liverpool John Moores University and Chair, SCI Early Careers Committee (ECC)
- Presentation by SCI
Ian Bradshaw, SCI
- Session 1 - starting out
- The transition from postdoc to PI: challenges and lessons learned
Dr Lianne Willems, University of York
- Chemistry at Dr Reddy’s: Making medicines affordable
Dr Robert Davidson, Dr Reddys
- Interactive activity
- Lunch and networking
- Session 2 - Industry based science
- Growing a career in industry through crop protection
Dr Niall Thomson, Syngenta
- Working for SMEs in chemistry: Growth in small spaces
Dr Alex Kerr, Micropore
- Big Pharma: Opportunities for chemistry Graduates at AstraZeneca
Dr Oliver Ring, AstraZeneca
- Refreshment break and networking
- Session 3 - Science and business
- A career as a Patent Attorney
Dr Dan Woollaston, HGF Limited
- Biotech Start-ups and Venture Capital: A career outside of academia
Dr Jonanthan Matlock, Unit DX
- Careers in Publishing with the Royal Society of Chemistry
Dr Ellis Wilde, RSC Publishing
- From Bench to business development/strong>
Dr Nathalie Huther, Arcinova
- Summing up
- Networking Reception
Venue and Contact
This event is free to attend.
Become an SCI Member and save on this and future events.
See Membership Options
Sign up as an Event Member to join this event. SCI Full or Student Members receive discounts on event registrations.
Booking terms and conditions
SCI Members attending this meeting are able to claim CPD points.
Exhibition and sponsorship
An exhibition will take place alongside the conference during refreshment breaks for companies and related organisations who may wish to exhibit. For further information and prices, please email email@example.com. Spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- Prof Paul A Clarke, University of York
- Prof Alan Heaton, Educational consultant