Following the success of the Young Chemist in Industry event, we are launching a sister award and meeting for a Chemist in Industry. Solving chemistry problems is central to so many industries and it is the people in the laboratories who are making this happen. This is a meeting to celebrate and recognise that community.
This one-day meeting will be of interest to chemists working in different chemical industries (e.g. pharmaceutical, catalysis, agrochemical). Particularly laboratory-based scientists or technical experts (for example, computational chemists) with several years' industry experience. Perhaps you are in a second or third role in industry. It presents a superb opportunity for chemists to showcase the relevance of chemistry to industrial research. It will also provide an opportunity for attendees to develop their CV with presentation and networking skills opportunities. Prizes will be awarded for the best talk and runners-up.
SCI's Chemist in Industry one-day meeting will be of interest to chemists working in different chemical industries (pharmaceutical, catalysis, agrochemical). It presents an opportunity to learn about how new chemistry methodology and technology is being developed and used in different industries.
Chair of judging panel: Peter Jones, Vertex Pharmaceuticals
Judging Panel: Simon Peace GlaxoSmithKline, Liz Jones Syngenta
Call for Posters
Opportunities are available for a limited number of posters which align with the theme of the meeting. Interested applicants should send an abstract of maximum one A4 page or 300 words, indicating title and authors to email@example.com by Friday 15 September 2023 with the subject line “Chemist in industry – poster submission”. An abstract template can be downloaded here.
For further information and prices, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday 15 November 2023
- Introduction and welcome
- Biocatalytic reductive amination: from enzyme discovery to manufacturing
Sarah l. Montgomery, Johnson Matthey
- Stereogenic fluorinated carbon in medicinal chemistry: from drug discovery to development
Tim Nicholas Barrett, GSK
- Discovery of potent & selective Nuak1 inhibitors
Karine G. Poullennec, UCB Biopharma
- Discovery and optimisation of potent and orally available CTP synthetase inhibitors
Andrew Novak, Sygnature
- Solid form control of a drug substance: ensuring robustness during scale-up
Jen Morton, Concept Life Sciences
- Lunch and networking poster session
- Scaffold hopping strategies in the discovery and optimization of thiazolopyridine herbicides
David M. Barber, Bayer
- Development of general, scalable and enantioselective routes to herbicidal DHOD inhibitors
Katharine Ingram, Syngenta
- Networking coffee break and judging discussion
- The human factor: impact of chemists on the identification of a potential therapy for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
Simon Peace, GSK
- Drinks mixer and networking
Venue and Contact
This is a free event.
Become an SCI Member and save on this and future events
See Membership Options
Sign up as an Event Member to join this event. SCI Full or Student Members receive discounts on event registrations
Booking terms and conditions
SCI Members attending this meeting are able to claim CPD points.
Tilly Bingham, Concept Life Sciences
Beatriz Dominguez, Johnson Matthey
David Freeman, Croda
Stefano Levanto Charles River Laboratories
Joanne Pinder, Vertex Pharmaceuticals