The Food Group will once more hold its 'Food for Thought' evening event at SCI HQ. This is a great opportunity to hear the presentations from the winners of last year's Young Food Scientist Competition which was jointly sponsored by SCI's Food Group and IFST Northern and South Eastern Branches.
As well as hearing from the three winners from last year's competition, Professor Martin Wickham, Head of Nutrition at Leatherhead Food Research UK, will round of the evening's presentations asking the question, 'Is a Calorie Really a Calorie?'
- Doors Open
- Welcome and Introduction: Andy Kerridge
- Jacopo Mistrello: 'Investigation of Functional Components of Powdered Date Pits'
- Javier Garcia Lomillo: 'Should anti-oxidants activity assays be included in the quality control of the decaffeination process?'
- Ditte Annie Hobbs: 'Beetroot Enriched Bread: Cardio Protective Effects & Consumer Acceptance'
- Professor Martin Wickham: 'Is a Calorie really a Calorie?'
- End and networking/refreshments
Venue and Contact
Tickets cost £8 via the website, £15 on the day.
Become an SCI Member and save on this and future events
See Membership Options
Sign up as an Event Member to join this event. SCI Full or Student Members receive discounts on event registrations
About the Keynote Speaker
Professor Martin Wickham is the Head of Nutrition at Leatherhead Food Research, UK. His research interests were centred on understanding human gut physiology with particular emphasis on the human response to complex food and pharmaceutical systems. He is a BBSRC/Royal Society of Edinburgh Enterprise Fellow, has a PhD from the University of East Anglia and has an MBA from the University of Dundee. Martin also holds a visiting Professorship at the Pharmaco-Biological Department, University of Messina, Italy, an Adjunct Faculty Position at The New Zealand Institute for Plant and Food Research, NZ, a member of the BBSRC DRINC Steering Group and is a member of the ILSI Europe Publication Committee.