The Irish chemical industry is perhaps best known worldwide for its pharmaceutical side, and much of Irish academic chemical research supports this industry. However, there is also a substantial research effort, both industrial and academic, in the fields of polymer and material chemistry and physics.
In Irish industry and academia, there is a substantial research effort in the fields of adhesion, surface science, surface coatings and composites. This one-day conference, running in its third year, aims to bring together both sets of researchers, plus suppliers to all three industries.
- Registration Opens
- Aoife Power (NCSR/DCU) Polyaniline-methacrylate polymer composites: towards new chromatographic stationary phases
- Dr Deborah Moore (Henkel Dublin) Recent Advances in Cyanoacrylate adhesives
- Coffee & Posters
- Michael Whelan & Dr Brendan Duffy (CREST) Anodised Aluminium: Enhancing the Surface
- Paul Kennedy (All Round Composites) Composite Repair: Issues and Difficulties in Everyday Aviation Maintenance
- Lunch & Posters
- Dr Michael Wolpers (Henkel Dusseldorf) Different Views on Hot Dip Galvanized Steel Substrates: Properties and their Analysis
- Dhiren Modi (IComp UL) Challenges in manufacturing of composites
- Jeremie Diboine (Ecole Nationale Superiure d'Ingenieurs de Limoges, France) Towards wear-resistant ceramic-metallic (cermet) coatings for aerospace polymer composites: understanding the mechanisms of adhesion between coating and substrate
- Biswajit Basu (Trinity College Dublin) Progress towards self-healing Composite Turbine Blades
- Dr Ulrike Schmidt-Freytag (Henkel AT Aviation) Composite Surface Preparation for Bonding and Painting
- Joseph Mohan (IComp UCD) Fracture Characterisation of Composite Joint Systems
- Tea & Posters
- Dr Jonathan Moghal (Oxford Surfaces) Mechanical Flexing of Nano-Composite Thin Film Optical Coating
- Prof Alojz Ivankovic (UCD) Aspects of Mixed-Mode Adhesive Failure
- Dr David Birkett (Henkel Ireland and SCI All Ireland and Materials Chemistry Groups) Poster Prize & Closing Remarks
- Drinks Reception
Venue and Contact
SCI Member €60
SCI Student Member €15
Non Member €80
Become an SCI Member and save on this and future events
See Membership Options
Sign up as an Event Member to join this event. SCI Full or Student Members receive discounts on event registrations
Booking terms and conditions
SCI Members attending this meeting are able to claim CPD points.
Call for Posters
The deadline for paper submissions has now past, however we are still accepting poster submissions. We will be offering a cash prize for the poster competition.
Please submit your poster to
Dr David Birkett