The aim of this event is to find out about a range of scientific career paths, both in and out of the laboratory. The talks will be followed by an informal buffet where you will be able to mingle and chat with the speakers.
- Introduction - John Stanford (SCI), University Leeds
- Technology Consultancy - Matthew Thornton, Net Composites Matthew did his degree at the University of Huddersfield and his PhD in Materials Science at the University of Nottingham. After working as a KTP Associate he moved to the Materials Knowledge Transfer Network where he was Polymer Sector Leader for six years. Matthew recently joined Net Composites as a Project Manager exploiting new composite material technologies.
- Process Development - Simon Yates, AstraZeneca Simon gained his MChem from the University of York which included an internship at Pfizer in Process Development. After graduating in 2002 he moved to AstraZeneca as a Research Chemist in Chemical Development. In 2006 he took on his current role of Automation Leader.
- Patent Attorney - Dan Woolaston, Harrison Goddard Foote Dan studied Chemistry at the University of Oxford and then remained there for a PhD in Synthetic Organic Chemistry. He then spent three years as a post doc in Paris and York and finally entered the patent law profession in Leeds in 2010.
- Knowledge Transfer - Rebecca Wood, Chemical Industries Knowledge Transfer Network Rebecca started working for Chemistry Innovation in January 2010, following 11 years in R&D for Ciba UK / BASF after gaining a degree in Chemistry with Chemical Engineering sponsored by the Ciba undergraduate scheme. Becky has recently taken on responsibility for Sustainable Design within Chemistry Innovation.
- 15:05 - 16:00
- Buffet (Room G14)
Venue and Contact
This is a FREE event. No need to book
Become an SCI Member and save on this and future events
See Membership Options
Sign up as an Event Member to join this event. SCI Full or Student Members receive discounts on event registrations
Booking terms and conditions
SCI Members attending this meeting are able to claim CPD points.
Exhibition and Sponsorship
An exhibition will take place alongside the conference for companies and related organisations who may wish to exhibit. Please email email@example.com for further information and prices. Spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.