For many years, the UK has produced high calibre synthetic organic chemists, able to retrosynthetically disconnect complex molecules and natural products then solve the challenging problem associated with the forward synthesis. To celebrate this and following on from the success of the previous eight competitions, we are pleased to announce the 9th SCI-RSC National Retrosynthesis Competition.
The event will showcase the calibre of UK chemists from both industry and academia and provide a platform for them to demonstrate their retrosynthetic and forward synthetic prowess. Entries will be shortlisted to a final 10 teams who will then be invited to present before their peers and the judges. Following the presentations, an exciting line up of the UK's leading academic and industrial synthetic chemists will judge the event, with the top three teams winning specifically designed trophies, in addition to the acclaim and praise from peers, colleagues and the wider Chemistry community for winning the event.
First round molecule
The first-round molecule will be released on Monday 27 September.
How to enter
Once the first molecule has been released a competition entry pack will be available to download from this webpage.
• Download the first-round molecule flyer (available from September 2021)
• Download the template for competition entry (available from September 2021)
• Download competition terms and conditions (available from September 2021)
• Teams should originate from one company or department; smaller industrial or academic departments will be allowed to submit joint entries but these must be approved by the Organising Committee in advance of submission
• Multiple teams from the same Institutions/Companies/Universities are encouraged, although team members are restricted to contributing only one entry
• It is recommended that each team consists of no more than 8 people. However, a maximum of 4 people will be allowed to present at the final
• There is no age limit for competition entrants
14/15 Belgrave Square
Tel: +44 (0)20 7598 1561
An exhibition will take place alongside the conference for companies and related organisations who may wish to exhibit. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and prices. Spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.