SCI's Day of Science & Careers Scotland returns for its third year and will take place at the University of Edinburgh, having been at the University of Strathclyde and the University of Aberdeen in previous years.
These events are designed to give information about the wide range of careers covered in science-based industries. Speakers from a range of industrial, academic and independent backgrounds will present their career pathway and offer insights in to what to look out for, and what to consider when choosing your next steps. There will also be a session on interview skills and CV writing, with plenty of opportunities to network with speakers and fellow delegates.
Please click here to download the event flyer.
In previous years this meeting has been very popular so early booking is advised.
Day 1 - 5 April 2017
- Registration and Coffee
- Welcome and Introduction Dr Tiffany Wood, Chair, SCI Scotland Committee and University of Edinburgh & Ms Susan Bird, University of Edinburgh
Science Based Roles
- Innovation - A Genius Story Ms Lucinda Bruce-Gardyne, Genius Gluten Free
- Life as an Analytical Scientist in a Contract Research Organisation Environment Dr James O'Neill, Charles River Laboratories
- Life in Wee-Pharma Dr Lynsey Howard, Lamellar Biomedical
- Soil and Suitcases: my academic career pathway Dr Nicholle Bell, University of Edinburgh
- Questions for the Panel
Where Science Meets Business
- Academic-Industrial Partnerships David (DC) DC Van Alstyne, CEO of Scottish Bioenergy at Roslin BioCentre
- Be Bold, Think Big Dr Elizabeth Fairley, Talking Medicines
- From the Cleanroom to the Boardroom: the Rocky Road from Researcher to Entrepreneur Mr Alex Ward, Razorbill Instruments
- Questions to Panel
- Lunch and Networking in the Exhibition Area
The Business of Science
- An Inventive Career Path - How a Physicist Ended Up in Intellectual Property Dr Kate Adamson, Marks & Clerk
- The Nature of Scientific Publishing Dr Andrea Taroni, Nature Physics
- Regulatory Affairs - When is a Medicine Not a Medicine? Mr Colin Brown, The Mentholatum Company
- Marketing/Scientific Sales Speaker TBC
- Questions for panel
- Refreshment Break
Show you mean business
- CVs:Maximising Your Impact Ms Susan Bird, University of Edinburgh
- How to Prepare for a Job Interview Mr Daniel Younger, CY Partners
- Questions for panel
- Drinks, nibbles and networking
Venue and Contact
University of Edinburgh
Swann Lecture Theatre
Swann Building, The University of Edinburgh King's Buildings
Max Born Crescent
Edinburgh, EH9 3BF
SCI Communications Team
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7598 1594
This is a FREE event, but please book online to secure your place.
Become an SCI Member and save on this and future events
See Membership Options
Sign up as an Event Member to join this event. SCI Full or Student Members receive discounts on event registrations
Booking terms and conditions
SCI Members attending this meeting are able to claim CPD points.
Exhibition and Sponsorship
An exhibition will take place alongside the conference for companies and related organisations who may wish to exhibit. Please email email@example.com for further information and prices. Spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.