The use of MALDI-TOF systems has completely revolutionized the way microbial identification/confirmation is performed. The speed, accuracy, ease of use and cost efficiency are so impressive that significant numbers of clinical laboratories all over the world, have now successfully employed this rapid technique on a routine basis for a number of years for rapid microbial identification/confirmation of clinically relevant microorganisms. However, this simple approach is now also being applied in many routine food and water laboratories. The relevant commercial clinical databases have been found to be fit for purpose and are continually incorporating new species including food and water-related species. The user can also set up a supplementary own personal database to be used in conjunction with the instrument manufacturer database. This event has 10 presentations covering a wide range of topics in relation to various food and water applications related to the use of MALDI TOF technology.
The conference is aimed at food and water microbiological technical staff; public health professionals, lab managers; food and water industry personnel responsible for microbiological quality and regulators
Day 1 - 14 December 2016
- Registration and refreshments
- Opening remarks - K. Clive Thompson
- MALDI Biotyper – Back to the Future! Erika Tranfield, Bruker
- A time and a place, current and future applications of MALDI-TOF in a busy food micro lab Matteo Capocefalo and Maria Gemenetzi, ALcontrol Labs
- The use of MALDI-TOF for the identification of isolates from food samples Frieda Jorgensen, PHE Colindale
- Rapid confirmation of Salmonella & Listeria isolates from food testing Julie Archer, Roy Betts and Charmaine Mitchell, Campden BRI group
- A Can Manufacturer’s Perspective: MALDI changed our lab! Bryan Donald, CROWN Technology
- The use of MALDI-TOF in the investigation of Bovine Mastitis and milk quality problems associated with poor water quality Andrew Bradley, Quality Milk Management Services Ltd
- Another tool in the arsenal - improving the public health response through the use of MALDI-ToF Sam Collins, PHE Porton Down
- MALDI-TOF, as clear as water Liesbeth Vissers, Aqualab Zuid BV
- Refreshment break
- Rapid confirmation using the MALDI TOF in Legionella and drinking water microbiology Pervinder Johal, ALS
- The Omics pocketknife: Select your fit for purpose tool Daniele Sohier, Bruker
- Discussion with and further questions to speakers
Venue and Contact
Earlybird fees - before 25 November 2016
GB£120 .. . . . . . . . . SCI Member
GB£40 . . . . . . . . . . .SCI Student Member
GB£160. . . . . . . . . . Non-Member
Standard fees - after 25 November 2016
GB£145 . . . . . . . . . .SCI Member
GB£50 . . . . . . . . . . .SCI Student Member
GB£195 . . . . . . . . . .Non-Member
Become an SCI Member and save on this and future events
See Membership Options
Sign up as an Event Member to join this event. SCI Full or Student Members receive discounts on event registrations
For booking terms and conditions click here.
SCI Members attending this meeting are able to claim CPD points.
Exhibition and Sponsorship
An exhibition will take place alongside the conference for companies and related organisations who may wish to exhibit. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and prices. Spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.