12 Apr 2013
On 4 April 2013, SCI Canada, the business forum of the Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC), hosted another successful annual CIC/SCI awards dinner, preceded by the third annual ‘Green, Clean, and Sustainable Chemistry’ seminar in Toronto. At the Awards Dinner, the following prestigious awards were presented:
- The Canada Medal for outstanding service to a Canadian industry based on chemistry, for its processes or services - Grant Thomson, NOVA Chemicals
- The Kalev Pugi Award for R&D projects that embody creativity, determination, good experimental design and project management - R Tom Baker, University of Ottawa
- The Purvis Memorial Award for major contribution to the development and implementation of strategies which have strengthened Canadian industry or academic or research institutions in the field of chemistry - Jon Hantho, Maxxam Analytics
- The LeSueur Memorial Award for developing technical excellence - Janusz Pawliszyn, University of Waterloo
- The International Award to acknowledge outstanding service to industry based on chemistry, for its processes and/or services in the international sphere - John Bianchini, Hatch Ltd
- Julia Levy Award for successful commercialisation of innovation in bio-medical science and engineering - Julian Adams, Infinity Pharmaceuticals
|R Tom Baker
Student Merit Awards were presented to 87 students who were accorded complimentary student membership of SCI for one year.
During the evening, SCI Trustee, Derek Heywood presented Distinguished Service Awards to Mr David Beckman and Dr Bernard West (pictured above) for their longstanding contribution to the work of the SCI Canada Group. Derek Heywood noted that the group could not have survived without their sustained passion and commitment.
SCI congratulates all the award winners.
SCI Executive Director 2010-13