09 Oct 2017
Venue: Augustinian Monastery, Ghent, Belgium
Date: Friday 8 December 2017
'Fat' has become a byword for ill-health in our nutrition obsessed world. This is true, especially, of saturated fat. Yet fats are essential to human health. Their importance is testified to by the fact that fat and vegetable oil refining and production, together with goods such as fatty spreads and chocolate are the single most important food sector in the world. In many products - whether food or personal care - the specific characteristics imparted by saturated fat are very important. Interestingly, such fats, at least from vegetable sources, are found in tropical oils. These include major oils, such as palm oil and coconut oil as well as so-called jungle crops. Although there are issues of sustainability with such oils, which must be addressed, their specific characteristics cannot be obtained readily from other sources.
SCI’s Lipids Group in collaboration with Benelux Lipid Network & EFL are pleased to present this one day conference, Tropical Oils - Production, Applications, Nutrition and Health Aspects, to look at the applications, health aspects and sustainability of tropical oils. Book here today to receive discounted early bird fees.
The day will include:
- Keynote speaker: Why do we need tropical oils?
Kevin Smith, Fat Science Consulting
- Sustainabilty of tropical oils- recent issues
Nienke Sleurink, IDH - The Sustainable Trade Initiative
- Progress in sustainable PO in the EU
Eddy Esselink, MVO - The Netherlands Oils and Fats Industry
- Coconut oil - applications and health aspects
Parkash Kochhar, Consultant
- Palm oil and palm kernel oils - health aspects
Dr Puah Chiew Wei, MPOB
- Replacing trans fats with tropical oils
Gerrit van Duijn, Consultsant
- Developing a new hard fat - Allanblackia
Rob Diks, IOI Loders Croklaan & Karel Hrncirik – Unilever
- Making the most of palm oil
Erik Schweitzer, IOI Loders Croklaan
- Mitigation of 3-MCPD and glycidyl esters in tropical
Wim De Greyt, Desmet
This one day conference is an excellent opportunity for scientists, technologists and engineers working in food and personal product design, formulation and production industries, to network and share knowledge with those concerned about health and sustainability.
SCI Members attending this meeting are able to claim CPD points.
- Tropical Oils - Production, Applications, Nutrition and Health Aspects - book now!
- Early bird deadline: Friday 3 November
- SCI Lipids Group